Monday, December 16, 2013

DAVID ORTIZ LOOKING TO EXTEND CONTRACT ADDITIONAL YEAR

DAVID ORTIZ
David Ortiz is looking to extend his contract through the 2015 season.

"My lawyers are talking with the Red Sox to see if we can get, another year, and we'll see what happens later", Ortiz told ESPN during his annual golf tournament. "Maybe I'll play another year or two more years. I'm at a stage where I'll play depending on how I feel physically. Looking at Cano's deal and the rest of the boys that came only yesterday to the big leagues, signing those contracts, one says, 'that's why we're here' ".

Ortiz 38. is coming of a  'great season' where he batted .309 with 30 home runs. The homers were the most he has hit since 2010 when he 'dinged' 32. His 103 RBI's were the most he's had since 2007 when his total was 117.

In the postseason he was even better. He hit .353 with five home runs and 13 RBI's and a OPS of 1.206. He batted a space age .688 in the World Series.

Ben Cherington, when informed of Ortiz's comments, had this to say. "Well, as you know, as a policy, we prefer not to talk about our conversations with players. Out of respect for David, it's hard for me to respond, because I wasn't there and don't know exactly what he said. What I can say is that we have incredible respect for David, and as I've said before and I'll reiterate, our hope certainly is that he finishes his career in a Red Sox uniform. So at some point there will be a conversation about that. I don't know when that will be. It's early December and there are still things we're looking to do this offseason, working on different ways to improve the team. The door will always be open to David, and I'm sure at the appropriate time there will be an appropriate time to have the conversation -- and I hope he's in a Red Sox uniform the rest of his career".

Ortiz becomes the second Red Sox player this offseason who publicly stated he would like a contract extension. Jon Lester expressed similar statements last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment