Saturday, March 29, 2014

RED SOX : News & Notes March 29,2014.


RED SOX : NEWS & NOTES
March 29,2014.





~Bradley's reaction : It’s never any less awkward, regardless of how many times the scene repeats itself in spring training: A cluster of reporters gathers around the player who has just been told he has made the big league team, while just a few feet away the player who was beaten out for the job prepares to clean out his locker.
And so it was the case here in Red Sox camp Friday, when Grady Sizemore was discussing how, against all odds coming into camp, he is the Opening Day center fielder, while Jackie Bradley Jr., who appeared to have the inside track on the job at the start of spring training, had just been told he was being optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket. “Back to work," Bradley said when asked his thoughts about returning to the PawSox.  While Sizemore exceeded expectations with his performance this spring, batting .333 and showing no ill-effects from a two-year layoff spawned by seven surgeries, Bradley showed only glimpses of the player who had stirred so much excitement last spring, when he batted .419 and played superb defense. There was no drop-off in his defensive performance, but Bradley batted .158 and struck out a team-high 17 times. “I knew it was going to be a competing thing," Bradley said. "[Sizemore] played well. I didn’t perform in spring training, but I feel like I’m ready for the season and ready to prove it. “We all didn’t, I guess, see Jackie Bradley Jr. this spring," he added. It became clear, as camp neared an end, that the Sox were leaning toward Sizemore as long as he continued to hold up physically. This week he played in three straight games for the first time, and the Sox met with both Sizemore and Bradley on Friday morning.
“I was prepared either way," Bradley said. “I’m not one really to get caught off-guard about anything. Take it in stride and move on."
Asked if he could appreciate what Sizemore had accomplished, making it back to this point, Bradley said: “Oh yeah. For anybody, if you said you didn’t admire what he had been through and the things he’s been able to do, you’d be lying. He’s amazing, a great ballplayer, great person, great teammate." Manager John Farrell, when meeting with reporters, described Bradley as being “critical” to the team’s short- and long-term plans. “It’s one of those things you focus on the present," Bradley said. “You can’t really predict what the future holds. Their confidence that I’m part of the program going forward, that’s a good thing." But regardless of whether Bradley had anticipated this outcome, it’s never easy.
“It’s humbling," he said. “I’ve always known that, though. I don’t really get too caught up in the highs, I don’t get too caught up in the lows. I try to stay in the happy medium. It all evens out."


~Cordero 'comeback' stalled : When Red Sox GM Ben Cherington and manager John Farrell spoke to Francisco Cordero on Thursday and told him he had not made the team, they said there was a spot for him in Triple-A Pawtucket’s bullpen if he wanted it. Cordero appreciated the gesture, as much as he was grateful they’d even given him a chance this spring, but after 14 seasons in the big leagues, 329 career saves, and three All-Star teams, the decision is not an easy one for him to make. “I don’t know if I can handle it, you know?" he said. But the alternative -- just going home -- is no easier, especially after a spring in which he returned from a year’s absence to make eight appearances this spring, allowing no runs in any of them. “It’s not something that had crossed my mind," Cordero said of continuing his attempted comeback in the minors. “I have to talk to my agent, see what advice he gives me. Right now, I don’t know what I want to do. “It’s hard to say I’m going to retire, I’m going to quit, after so many years. It’s been my life, playing baseball. I know it’s not going to last forever, but when you feel you can still pitch, it’s hard to say you’re going home."
Cordero did not allow a run in eight appearances this spring, most of his work coming late in games against lineups peppered with minor-leaguers. Farrell praised the Dominican right-hander for how he’d come to camp 30 pounds lighter, for the way he located his pitches, and for velocity that was a far cry from the high 90s he used to throw but at 92-93 m.p.h. was enough to get people out.
“Like I said to John and Ben yesterday, I really appreciated the opportunity," said Cordero, who had eight seasons of 30 or more saves, including a career-high 49 with Texas in 2004. “I think I opened a lot of eyes the way I pitched. After missing last year, I proved to myself I can still get people out. “I know that I didn’t make the team here, because they pretty much have the whole bullpen set up, but I really, really appreciate Ben bringing me here with a chance to compete." Cordero did not have an opt-out clause in his minor-league deal with the Sox, but he could conceivably ask for his release. If this is indeed the end, Cordero said he may elect to play on the softball team run by his brother, Carlos. “They already have my name on their jerseys," he said. “[Former Indians closer] Jose Mesa plays on a team, Edwin Encarbacion’s brother, some other big-leaguers." Cordero is the Dominican’s all-time leader in saves; he has eight more than Mesa. “I’m not a young kid anymore," said Cordero, who turns 39 in May. “I thank God for the opportunity to play. It’s hard to be mad at anyone. I had a long career, a good career. I’m proud of everything I accomplished. I’m really happy with what I did."


~ Workman in line for last roster spot : No announcement yet, but Brandon Workman might as well pack his bags for Baltimore.
The Red Sox held off on making it official after Friday's game, but Workman all but wrapped up the last spot on the Opening Day roster by tossing a scoreless seventh inning in a 4-0 victory over the Twins at Hammond Stadium. ManagerJohn Farrell was waiting to meet with a few more players before making the move, although the Sox did option lefty reliever Drake Britton to Triple A, leaving Workman as the last pitcher on the 40-man roster remaining in camp to assume the bullpen spot vacated when lefty reliever Craig Breslow was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday night.
Non-roster pitchers Francisco Cordero, Tommy Layne and Brayan Villarreal also are still in camp, but Cordero has been informed he will be sent to the minors if he chooses to accept the assignment. The 38-year-old right-hander is weighing his options.Farrell has long been impressed with Workman, even trusting him to pitch the eighth inning of Game 6 of the World Series, and has dropped hints over the past few days that Workman will make the team because of his ability to pitch multiple innings.The Red Sox prefer to keep Workman stretched out as a starter, but because Breslow isn’t expected to miss more than a few days after being held back in camp to compensate for a hefty postseason workload (he’s eligible to be activated April 5), Farrell said the club has no hesitation to have him open the season as a long reliever.“That’s different than going back and forth (between starting and relieving),” Farrell said. “Making three or four starts, putting him in the bullpen, then we need him to go back in the rotation -- that’s what we want to avoid.”
Workman posted a 5.17 ERA in six appearances this spring, although he has allowed only two runs and recorded 10 strikeouts in his last 10 innings.

~ Ortiz 'stiff' : It’s not considered serious -- far from it, actually -- but David Ortiz didn’t play due to what Farrell described as “stiffness” in his right calf. Ortiz began feeling the discomfort on Thursday night when he went 0-for-2 with a strikeout against the Twins. Farrell labeled Ortiz’ absence as “precautionary” and said Big Papi likely will play in Saturday’s spring-training finale, although his status won’t be determined until after he’s checked out by the trainers at JetBlue Park. Ortiz is 2-for-37 (.054) with 13 strikeouts this spring.

~Pedroia has sore 'tummy' : Second baseman Dustin Pedroia was scratched from the lineup because of a stomach illness.


No comments:

Post a Comment