Wednesday, March 19, 2014

RED SOX : News & Notes March 19,2014.


RED SOX : NEWS & NOTES
March 19,2014.




~Doubront's mechanics : 
Red Sox manager John Farrell suspected that Felix Doubront might have been suffering with that typical dead arm most pitchers go through at some point during Spring Training in Tuesday's sub-par effort against the Yankees.But the lefty said his problems were more mechanical than physical."I didn't feel the grip," said Doubront. "My changeup was bad. I left the pitch over the plate. One of those days. "Over 3 2/3 innings, Doubront was pounded for 10 hits and seven runs. He walked three and struck out two.Doubront had fired six scoreless innings over his first two outings."Delivery was a little bit tough because my release points and my mechanics weren't right," Doubront said. "I don't know if it's too fast or too slow but it was better for a couple of pitches, then I went back to the wrong mechanics. It's a thing I have to work on."

~The 'Buzz' : The game was delayed for seven minutes in the third inning when a swarm of bees gathered around the left field corner. “I heard them before I saw them,” left fielder Mike Carp said. “I turned around and knew I had to get out of there.” Members of the grounds crew sprayed the area with insect repellent and the bees eventually left for a less-noxious area. “That was a first for me,” Farrell said. “Never saw a game delayed by bees.”

~C.C.Sabathia pulling for Sizemore : They might be rivals now, but they used to be teammates on a team that nearly beat the Red Sox in an epic American League Championship Series back in 2007.
So count Yankees ace CC Sabathia among those rooting for Grady Sizemore in his comeback attempt with Boston."He was a guy that was 30/30 or 25/25. He was the best center fielder in the game at the time when I played with him, so seeing him back, hopefully he's healthy, and I think he'll be good," said Sabathia. Sabathia wasn't stunned to see the many highlights Sizemore produced in Monday's nationally televised game against the Cardinals.
"It's just because he's such a good athlete, it's not really surprising to me," Sabathia said. "He was so much fun to watch when I played with him. He was young and full of so energy and would kind of take over the game. It was just fun to watch.Sizemore will play a Minor League game on Wednesday and return to Boston's lineup on Thursday night against the Yankees.

~T.V. Times : Tonight's game with the Pirates is on NESN. Game time is 7 p.m.

~Andrew Bailey now a 'Yank' : Andrew Bailey, now with the Yankees, never quite got going during his two years with the Red Sox, thanks to a barrage of health woes. But he reflects fondly on his time in Boston and will be honored to receive his World Series ring at some point this season."Oh man, for sure," said Bailey. "I'm really looking forward to it. It means a lot to me. Any time you win a championship, it's special. No matter what you contribute, you're a part of history. Even throwing for half a season is something I'll never forget -- being part of a championship season."Coming off surgery last July that prevented him from pitching for the Red Sox in the postseason, Bailey will likely return at some point during the second half of the season.The Red Sox acquired Bailey to be their closer prior to the 2012 season, but a right thumb injury had him on the disabled list just before Opening Day. Last year, he started as the setup man and became the closer for a while, only to lose the job during a slump and then lose his season thanks to significant shoulder issues.Though some players leave the team during prolonged injury rehabs, particularly when they will soon be free agents, Bailey was a frequent presence in Boston's clubhouse and dugout for the remainder of the 2013 season."Before I got hurt in May, I really felt like myself again," said Bailey. "Thought I was going to have a great year. I had a hiccup and then kind of grinded through the next six weeks until [my shoulder] went. And also, them affording me the opportunity to heal up at home for a couple of weeks and then be with the team all the way through September and through the playoffs was special. They didn't have to do that. I really acknowledge that they let me do that and they wanted me there and the guys wanted me there. It was cool to be a part of."
Bailey said he considered a return to the Red Sox, but he felt there would ultimately be better opportunities to land a spot in the Yankees' bullpen.
"We had communication throughout the offseason, but I thought the opportunity here was great," Bailey said. "Those guys were awesome. During the offseason, I was going up and working with [Red Sox trainers] once a week at least all the way until pretty much when I signed. We were in constant communication. They had their hands on me. But I thought this was a great opportunity for me and my family at the same time."

~Rich Hill appears : Lefthanded reliever Rich Hill allowed one hit in the seventh inning but pitched well otherwise.

~Tommy Lane looks good : Lefty Tommy Layne threw a scoreless eighth inning. He has gone 6 2/3 innings this spring without giving up a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment